* This dish is vegetarian, kosher, and gluten free *
It’s finally slow cooker season! And this chili is the perfect way to start it off! At our house we love pairing it with baked corn chips or mini cornbread muffins. It’s also fun to set up a fixins bar so guests can top their chili however they’d like.
Not only does butternut squash taste amazing but it's packed with vitamin A and beta carotene (great for your skin and eyesight). Combining them with black beans and veggies in this chili makes for one nutrient dense, balanced, and delicious meal!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean ChiliIngredients:
- 4 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 1 15-oz. can sweet corn
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small can diced mild green chiles
- 1 sweet onion - diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tsp veggie base (or bouillon cube)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
- Stir veggie base and tomato paste into warm water until completely dissolved and set aside. Also set aside shredded cheese and green onion.
- Combine remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Pour water mixture over ingredients and cook low 5-6 hours (or on high for 2-3 hours). Stir occasionally as needed.
- Once ready ladle chili into soup bowls and top with shredded cheese and green onion. Yum!