Print this Page
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
There is so much to love about butternut squash! Since it's high in fiber and low in calories it's a great food for weight management. It's also super high in vitamins A and B. Its got great flavor and is so versatile!
- 3 corn tortillas cut in half
- ½ butternut squash – cooked and cubed
- ½ sweet onion – diced
- ¾ cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
In large bowl combine garlic, onion, spices, chiles, black beans, and ¼ cup of cheese until well mixed.
I started using a bread pan rather than a larger one because its the perfect size.
- Slowly stir in cubed squash.
- Pour 1tbsp of enchilada sauce into lightly coated 8x3 baking dish. For a larger dish double ingredients.
- Press 2 tortilla halves into bottom of pan.
- Layer 1/3 squash mixture, ¼ cup of cheese, and 1tbsp enchilada sauce.
- Press 2 additional tortilla halves into pan to evenly cover mixture
- Add another layer of 1/3 squash mixture, ¼ cup of cheese, 1 tbsp. enchilada sauce, and 2 more tortilla halves.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cheese melted and hot throughout.
- Remove foil and return to oven @ 425 degrees to make cheese bubbly.
- Let cool and top with diced avocado if desired.
Permanent link to this article: http://soulshining.com/recipes/butternut-squash-and-black-bean-enchilada-casserole/